Johnson City Car Accident Attorneys
Tennessee Car Crash Injury Compensation Legal Counsel
If you or a family member were involved in a serious car accident, you need a law firm with experience helping crash victims recover fair compensation for their injuries and losses. The Johnson City car accident attorneys of the Meade Law Group have more than 30 years of experience investigating claims, handling court filings, and negotiating solutions with negligent parties’ insurance companies. We are comfortable in front of a jury, and we are not afraid to fight insurance companies that refuse to make reasonable settlement offers.
Car Wreck Cases & Tennessee Negligence Law
Car accident cases fall under the umbrella of negligence law, and there are four specific legal requirements that must be met.
In order to prove fault on the part of the other party, you must prove that:
- The defendant had a legal duty, such as to yield while driving or keep attention on the road
- The defendant breached that duty, which can be done with eyewitness testimony, photographs, data recorded by an automobile, or expert testimony showing that the defendant was careless behind the wheel
- The damages sustained were a direct result of the defendant’s breach of duty
- The person seeking compensation suffered actual damages
Defendants and their insurance companies want to keep settlement values low, so they will seize any available opportunity to discount the claimant’s damages. An aggressive Johnson City car accident attorney will fight back by securing all necessary medical records from both before and after the accident and go over these carefully with the medical providers, including an examination of pre-existing conditions and aggravation of injuries.
Meade Law Group can help with personal injury cases involving:
- Asleep at the wheel accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Broken bones
- Car accident injuries
- Defective seat belts and airbags
- Distracted driving accidents
- Drunk driver accidents
- Head injuries
- Hit and run accidents
- How to read your Tennessee car accident report
- Insurance overview
- Pedestrian accidents
- Rear end car accidents
- T-bone car wrecks
- Texting while driving accidents
- Underinsured or uninsured accident claims
Obtaining a Favorable Outcome for Your Situation
The particular damages to which a party may be entitled vary from case to case, but they can include:
- Medical expenses such as doctor fees, hospital bills, and ambulance charges
- Lost wages, both immediately following the accident and in the years to come in cases of permanent disability
- Disfigurement, particularly of more visible areas such as the face or hands
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering resulting from the physical injuries sustained in the accident
Tennessee’s Comparative Fault Laws
If two or more people contributed to the cause of an accident, Tennessee’s comparative fault laws allow a jury (or the parties, by agreement in a settlement document) to assign blame to anyone responsible. Under this doctrine, a claimant’s recovery is reduced in proportion to his or her fault in the accident, so long as the other party is at least 51 percent responsible. If the fault is found to be 50-50, the claimant does not recover anything.
Many defendants will allege that the claimant was at fault in the accident in order to reduce their own liability. While this may just be an avoidance technique by the insurance companies, their arguments may be legitimate enough to hurt your outcome.
Putting the Interests of Victims First
The determined advocates at the Meade Law Group can help you explore all of your legal options, including settling your case out of court if that makes the most economic sense. We work with clients from throughout East Tennessee, including Erwin, Elizabethton, and Kingsport. The first appointment is free, and in most cases, our fees will be paid from your settlement rather than being collected up front.
Call us at (423) 464-7779 now to schedule your appointment.