Johnson City Drug Crime Attorney
Aggressive Defense Against Drug Charges in Washington County
There is a wide range of drug charges and thus it takes a skilled defense to tailor a possible solution to your unique needs. At the Meade Law Group, we understand the potentially devastating affects a conviction may have for your reputation, your profession, your family, and your freedom. No matter what you are facing, what the circumstances, and when you are arrested, our drug crime lawyers in Kingsport, TN work hard to protect your freedom.
Drug Charges We Handle
Charges that our firm handles include:
- Possession of marijuana, cocaine, illegal prescription drugs, or any other narcotic or drug
- The manufacture of methamphetamine or any other drug
- Forging prescriptions
Are you facing drug charges in Tennessee? Call Meade Law Group today at (423) 464-7779 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our drug crime lawyer in Johnson City!
Drug Schedules in Tennessee
In Tennessee, drugs are categorized into five different schedules according to their risk level. Schedule I drugs have the highest potential for abuse and dependence, while Schedule V drugs have a much lower potential for abuse and addiction.
- Schedule I drugs have no medical use and have a high potential for abuse, such as heroin and ecstasy.
- Schedule II drugs include opioids such as morphine, codeine, OxyContin, Vicodin, and methadone. Possession of these substances is still illegal under state law, even though doctors may prescribe some for medical purposes.
- Schedule III drugs are considered less addictive than Schedule II but still pose a moderate danger to users. Examples include certain prescription medications like Tylenol with Codeine and products containing small amounts of codeine syrups or anabolic steroids.
- Schedule IV drugs have an even lower chance of abuse than Schedule III substances, such as Xanax (alprazolam) or Valium (diazepam).
- Schedule V drugs consist primarily of cough medicines that contain small amounts of codeine derived from natural plants.
What are the Penalties For Drug Crimes in Tennessee?
Tennessee has some of the toughest drug penalties in the country. Depending
on the type of drugs involved, a conviction for drug
possession can carry hefty fines and long-term imprisonment. To protect yourself
and your loved ones, it is essential to understand what types of drugs
are illegal and what punishments you could face if convicted.
The most common drugs in Tennessee are marijuana, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, ecstasy, and prescription opioids such as Vicodin or OxyContin. Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor offense that carries up to one year in jail and fines of up to $2,500. Possession of other narcotics is a felony charge ranging from Class E (up to two years imprisonment) – To class A (15 to 25 years imprisonment). Furthermore, repeat offenders may face harsher penalties under repeat offender statutes.
In some instances involving crack cocaine or other Schedule I substances, an individual could face up to 60 years in prison upon conviction. Additionally, those suspected or caught possessing large quantities of drugs can be charged with drug trafficking charges which carry much harsher punishments such as life imprisonment without eligibility for parole.
If you or someone you know is facing any drug charge in Tennessee, you must contact an experienced attorney who can help navigate the legal complexities of a drug case and potentially reduce your penalties. A qualified drug crime lawyer in Johnson City can review your situation and advise on how best to proceed to ensure the best result possible.
Contact Our Johnson City Drug Crime Lawyer Today
At the Meade Law Group, our Johnson City drug crime attorneys will fight to win when it comes to your drug crime charge. We will use our knowledge and experience with this area and its complicated laws to build a solid defense that protects you and your best interests.
Drug crimes are often not as cut and dry as a prosecutor may initially believe which is why it is vital that you have a thorough defense on your side throughout your case. At the Meade Law Group, our Johnson City drug crime lawyers take the time to get to know you and your situation and develop a solid defense based on your unique needs.
Contact Meade Law Group today to schedule a FREE consultation with our drug crime attorney in Johnson City!